Whether it’s drawing a hot bath, making yourself some tea, or even just taking a moment to practice some deep breathing, we know how doing something small and simple for yourself can make you feel brand new again. The smallest of self-care moments can lead to you feeling refreshed and renewed.
And why shouldn’t you have that feeling? After all, you deserve it. That’s why in this post I’m bringing you a simple daily detox routine. Think of it as small pick-me-ups strategically placed to have you feeling amazing every day throughout the day.
- Start the day with warm water and lemon. Yes, it sounds cliche – but there’s a reason why most nutrition experts suggest you start your day with warm water and lemon. Water is important for both digestion and detoxification,and lemons are high in antioxidants, which are ultra-important for cellular repair (1).
- Get your sweat on. Moving your body and sweating is great for detoxification, as it utilizes the body’s biggest detox organ: your skin. Studies have shown that sweating has the capacity to help you detox from some serious substances like cadmium, arsenic, and lead (2). Of course, exercise also promotes better mood, which just another benefit.
- Eat your cruciferous vegetables. Your liver is really important when it comes to detoxification, and cruciferous vegetables are a liver’s best friend. Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and kale support enzyme production in the liver – one’s that are specifically important to the detoxification process (3).
- Start Dry Brushing. If you can add two minutes to your routine before your shower, you will reap the benefits. Dry brushing is just what it sounds like: taking a dry brush to your body and lightly stroking with minimal pressure. You brush from your extremities inward, directionally towards your heart. This is typically done pre-shower or bath. Not only does it help exfoliate the skin, but it also promotes movement of the lymph. Lymph is important in getting rid of any waste or toxins from the circulatory system, and it is also crucial to immune function. Keeping your lymph moving is an important part of the process, and dry brushing is a quick, easy, and effective way to support its function (4).
- Take Time for Tea. Not only is a hot cup of tea a great way to unwind, but many of them also provide great detox benefits. Peppermint is digestion supportive, and having a healthy functioning digestive system is important for excreting waste every day. Dandelion tea is liver protective and helps keep this major detoxification organ in check (7). Whatever tea you choose, if you’re a breastfeeding mama double check that your preferred option is okay for you.
Taking a moment for tea also gives you a chance to check in with yourself and detox another way: your mind. How were your thoughts today? Were you nice to yourself? Detoxing is about more than just what you can do in your body – how you are in your mind matters too.
Whether you take these tips on all at once or add a few at a time, these steps can help you rid toxins a little bit every day leading to a happy, healthy, detoxified you!